Since its establishment in June 1989, Asan Medical Center has made every effort to invest in research and clinical studies. With an unwavering spirit of "caring for life and sharing with those in need and pain," AMC has also attempted to fulfill its responsibility to society. AMC's expertise and leadership has allow it to become one of the world's top medical institutions.
Asan Medical Center is the parent of seven hospitals which are part of the Asan Foundation established in 1977 and has non-profit operations in areas including healthcare, social work, scholarship, and R&D support. In particular, providing equal opportunity access to top-quality healthcare for residents in rural areas, AMC hospitals have become the embodiment of the Asan Foundation's mission and also that of their founder, Mr. Chung Ju-Yung, whose philosophy was "to help the neediest in our society."
With an area greater than 8 million sq. ft. and with 2,791 beds, Asan Medical Center is the largest hospital in Korea. AMC's first-class doctors and specialists, cutting-edge equipment, and advanced patient care system are the factors behind its position as the leader of Korea's medical society. AMC treats10,449 outpatients and 268 emergency patients on an average day. It also performs 62,637 highly complex surgeries each year.
Asan Medical Center enjoys the reputation of being the hospital most visited by Korean people.
Reasons Behind the Reputation of Number One
- Ranked the 1st in Global Customer Satisfaction Competency Index for three years consecutively 2010
- Awarded the Global Standard Management Awards in Corporate Social Responsibility Management Sector 2010
- Won the Grand Prize of 2009 Most Trusted Brand Award
- Most Respected Hospital in Korea - Korea Management Association, 2007 and 2010
- Performed Most Organ Transplantations - KONOS (Korean Network for Organ Sharing), 2007
- Number 1 in Cancer operations for 9 different cancers - Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service,
- 2006 and 2007
- Performed Most Cancer Operations for 6 different cancers - Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service,
- 2006 and 2007
- Innovative Clinic for Cancer Research - Ministry for Health, Welfare, and Family Affairs, 2007
- Performed Most Operations (30 major diseases) - National Health Insurance Corporation, 2006
- Top Healthcare Organization - Ministry for Health, Welfare, and Family Affairs
Asan Medical Center is no longer limiting itself to competition in Korea, but is reaching out to be among the world's leading clinics and to exceed the global standard in medicine.
For this reason, Asan Medical Center established Asan Institute for Life Sciences and Clinical Research Center which function as the ground for research and training, new treatments development, and clinical study for cancer treatment.
Modern medicine involves more than relieving pain and facilitating recovery for patients. Its overall goal is to eliminate the causes of illnesses and to protect human beings against disease so we can all live a healthy life. This is also AMC's goal in its pursuit of futuristic, state-of-the-art research based on the organic bond between medicine and technology.
As the backbone of practical study for the development of medicine, AMC's Clinical Research Center goes far beyond theoretical study. Last year, it was selected as the clinical laboratory for a world-renowned pharmaceutical company, which represents another of AMC's achievements in the area of clinical study.
"Asan Spirit" breathes in the way Asan Medical Center gives to the community and provides free-of-charge treatments for those in need. Since its establishment in 1989, AMC has donated 11 billion KRW in medicine and treatments to 150,000 patients.
AMC is committed to sharing patients' pain and to putting the mission of generosity and compassion into practice. Our ultimate goal is to provide the highest quality medical service, that is, to treat all patients as family members.